Many workers contact my constituency office for information on the Employment Insurance program and the various related programs.

What can my member of Parliament do?

With the written permission of the individual concerned, I am authorized to send and receive information on an open file or application by consulting Service Canada. My team can also answer your questions about the application process.

Frequently asked questions

  • Am I eligible for Employment Insurance?

Step 1: Determine the type of benefits that match your situation.

• Regular benefits: for people who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own

• Sickness benefits: for people who are unable to work for medical reasons

• Compassionate care benefits: for people who need to be away from work temporarily to provide care or support to a family member who is gravely ill with a significant risk of death

• Employment Insurance special benefits for parents of critically ill children: for parents who take leave to provide care or support to their critically ill child

• Fishing benefits: specifically for eligible people engaged in fishing

Step 2: Read the eligibility criteria for your type of benefit. You can find this information by visiting the Service Canada website or by calling 1-800-808-6352 to speak with an agent. You can also visit the Service Canada Centre nearest you.

Step 3: If you cannot get the information you need, contact my office and my team can direct your information request to Service Canada.

  • How can I submit my application for Employment Insurance?

Step 1: Submit your application for Employment Insurance online by following the instructions on the Service Canada website.

Step 2: If you do not have access to a computer or you would like help, visit the Service Canada Centre nearest you.

  • What can I do if my Employment Insurance benefits are cut or I do not receive them as scheduled?

Step 1: Contact a Service Canada agent to find out why and to determine whether action is required by calling 1-800-808-6352. You can also visit the Service Canada Centre nearest you.

Step 2: If you are in a difficult situation that requires urgent attention or you would like help with this process, make an appointment with a member of my team.


Visit the Employment Insurance section of the Service Canada website.